Corporate General Manager Critical Skills 2022
The Department of Home Affairs has recently updated the critical skills occupation list for 2022 and decided to keep corporate general managers on the list. Home Affairs has realized that they need CG managers to build the economy for South Africa.
The business analyst critical skills visa occupation has been removed from the list and if you are an I.T professional then you can read our detailed IITPSA critical skills visa assessment for more information.
As with many things life changes happen and there has been some change to the critical skills visa for South Africa. So with that, the following has changed:
The Department of Home Affairs previously issued applicants with a 12-month critical skills visa to seek employment and once they have secured employment then DHA would extend their visa for a further 4 more years. The Department of Home Affairs has decided against this which means that now an applicant must have secured employment before applying for the visa. To this end, the prospective employer must be in good standing with the Department of Labour for the application to be accepted.
The minister has revoked immigration directive no 22 of 2014 which means that previously applicants could include some form of confirmation of membership from a professional council, body or board. Under the new changes, the applicant has to satisfy all the requirements which include the confirmation letter from the accredited professional body, council or board which has been recognized by SAQA.
If you secured employment and need to know about the critical skills visa change of employer, our detailed blog post will give you all the information you need to change employers on a critical skills visa.
So today we created the following guide to give you all the information you need about this temporary residence permit / visa.
These are the different South Africa visa types you could apply for.
What is a corporate general manager?
According to the critical skills occupation list, the definition is as follows:
- Plans, organises, directs, controls and reviews the day-to-day operations and major functions of a commercial, industrial or other organisation (excluding government or local government) through departmental managers and subordinate executives.
The CGM must have an understanding of all the departments within a company he or she works for. They oversee all managers and senior staff members. The corporate general manager ensures that the business is working towards its goals, targets and ensures that the company stays profitable.
What other duties are corporate general managers responsible for?
- Creates goals for the company to work towards and how to achieve them.
- Implements various plans.
- Drives departmental managers.
- Responsible for important decisions that need to be made.
- Management and people skills
- Strategic thinking
- Determines and formulates a process
These are just a few to mention and if this sounds like what you do then you are on the right path, but ultimately it’s not up to us to decide whether you are competent. The corporate general manager is a high-level position within the company and applicants applying under this position must have the experience to pass the assessment.
The corporate general manager qualifications
The critical skills occupation list states that the minimum stipulation required for this position is:
- Bachelor Honours Degree
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Bachelor’s degree (NQF Level 8)
This is what the Department of Home Affairs policy or regulation is required for this position in the industry, the statutory professional body might have stricter criteria which you will be assessed against.
What are the documents needed to apply for the assessment and registration with IBASA?
- All foreign qualifications must have been assessed by SAQA the South African Qualifications Authority and you need the certifications to prove this. The SAQA certificate must be included in the application.
- Two letterheads of recommendations from your current or previous employers on official letterheads. (Please ask your previous employers to specifically address the duties you were responsible for which is relevant to the occupation you are applying under.)
- Copy of your current passport which must be certified. (Please ensure that your passport is valid at the time of submission)
- Copy of your visa page if you have temporary residence in South Africa. (Ensure that your temporary residence visa is valid at the time of submitting)
- Certified copies of your degree, diploma and transcripts. All foreign qualifications must be assessed by SAQA and if your qualifications are written in a foreign language then they should be translated into English by a sworn translater.
- A detailed CV that states your experience with each employer, specific start and end dates.
- Completed membership forms.
- Proof of payment.
Once your application form has been filled in and all documents are 100% correct please use the following reference format for payment Surname-CSV.
Email your application with the above attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
It can take a month before you receive your outcome, if successful you will receive your membership and confirmation letter from them. You will receive free membership for 12 years and thereafter you only start paying their membership fees.
The assessment will cost R 5,000.00 which includes free membership. If your application is rejected, no refunds for rejected applications.
What are the advantages of applying for this visa?
- You can apply for a permanent residence permit if you have more than 5 years of experience
- You can add dependents to your visa such as a spouse or children who are not of school-going age.
- The duration of the visa is 5 years.
- Less complicated compared to other South African work visas.
- There are plenty of jobs available and if you can start a job search on job offering sites.
Contact Migrate With Q if you need assistance with your visa application and we are more than happy to complete a free assessment with all applicants. Our role is to facilitate with visa application for you and sure that you are on the right track towards getting your visa issued.
Charl Vollmer has 8 years of experience helping people immigrate to South Africa. I am passionate about helping people and making their dreams a reality. Charl constantly stays up to date with South African Immigration rules and regulations. To contact Charl, visit our contact page.