Learn How To Get A Work Endorsement on a Spousal Visa in South Africa
Applying for a work endorsement for a spousal visa is something that many spouses often enquire about, but applying for the endorsement is not always straightforward.
Sometimes applicants think that working rights are added automatically to their visa when they need to apply for this.
Foreign applicants are surprised when they find out that they need to apply for working rights.
Our detailed guide breaks down everything you need to know and explains how to apply for the endorsement.
Migrate With Q can assist you with our immigration service which can greatly increase your chance of obtaining working rights. You are allowed to apply for a spousal visa with a tourist visa for South Africa.
If you do not qualify for the visa, these are the different South Africa visa types.
The spousal visa falls under the relatives visa category and we have some extensive blog topics written:
1. Family visa South Africa
2. What is a relative permit in South Africa
3. Relative visa South Africa processing time
4. Relatives visa South Africa requirements
5. Can you work on a relative visa in South Africa
6. Relatives visa South Africa
7. Requirements for a Spousal Visa in South Africa
8. Spousal Visa Renewal in South Africa
How Does A Spousal Visa Work?
The spousal visa for South Africa is issued to the foreign spouse national who is married to a South African citizen or permanent resident.
The visa is issued for two years and can be renewed countless times.
The visa holder is allowed to enter and exit the country freely, provided that your visa is valid at all times.
After 5 years of marriage, the foreign applicant then qualifies for permanent residency.
If you need the sample letter of support for spouse visa South Africa, then you can download our template.
Here are some reasons why your visa might be declared invalid:
- Getting divorced from your partner.
- Being deported from South Africa.
- Being in contravention of the immigration act.
Certain violations are more serious than others. While certain things may not get your visa revoked but a really serious offence might get you banned permanently from South Africa.
When applying for the visa you need to have a valid marriage certificate to prove that you are married.
Can I Work On A Spousal Visa in South Africa?
Many applicants applying are constantly wondering can you work on a spousal visa in South Africa?
Technically you are allowed to work whilst on the spousal visa but you need permission from the Department of Home Affairs.
A spousal visa application does not automatically grant you the right to work and working without permission can get your employer in trouble.
Your employer can be dealt a harsh penalty or face imprisonment for up to one year.
To be granted the work endorsement on a spousal visa, you need to have secured employment at the time of submission.
In layman’s terms, you cannot apply for working rights without a job offer.
The interesting thing is that you can apply for one of these:
- Business Rights – Start your own business
- Study Rights – Further your education
- Working Rights – Work in South Africa
The advantage of adding working rights versus applying for a work visa is that a spousal visa with working rights is way less complicated.
What are the advantages?
- You do not need to prove to the Department of Home Affairs that your prospective employer has exhausted all avenues in first finding a SA citizen or permanent resident before awarding you with the job offer.
- No need to evaluate your foreign qualifications with the South African Qualifications Assessment (SAQA)
- No need to register with a professional body, council or board to regulate your profession, unless your occupation or employer is required by law to do so.
- No need to obtain undertaking letters from your prospective employer.
How Do I Get A Work Endorsement In South Africa
So you might be thinking “How do I endorse a spouse visa in South Africa?” the process is as follows:
To get a work endorsement on a spousal visa in South Africa you need the following in place:
- Employment Offer
- All supporting documents for the spouse visa application
- Schedule an appointment with VFS to submit and complete the application form online.
- Pay the prescribed fees to VFS (R 1,550.00)
- Complete the scheduling process
- Be 15 minutes to 30 minutes earlier for your appointment.
- Collect a receipt and wait for your receipt number to be announced.
- Your biometrics like fingerprints and photos will be captured.
- Submit your application.
- Monitor the progress of your application.
- Once you have been notified of an outcome, you can collect without making an appointment but you can only do so between 10 am and 3 pm. It’s a first come first serve basis.
Use Migrate With Q And Get Your Visa Without Any Hassles
If you need assistance in applying for a temporary residence permit / visa like a South African spousal visa, we can assist you in two ticks. We are here to provide you with assistance so that you can focus on what is important to you.
We can assist you in adding working rights, study rights or business rights. We welcome all visa applications and can assist you with permanent residence for the entire family. There are many advantages once you receive your permanent residence.
If you do not qualify for the spousal visa, then we could look at applying for a life partner visa.
Charl Vollmer has 8 years of experience helping people immigrate to South Africa. I am passionate about helping people and making their dreams a reality. Charl constantly stays up to date with South African Immigration rules and regulations. To contact Charl, visit our contact page.