Temporary Spouse Visa South Africa Requirements
South Africa is a popular destination for many foreign nationals who love the country and many of them fall in love, getting married to a South African citizen or permanent resident.
Not to forget about our breathtaking scenic views around the country like Cape Town, Johannesburg or Durban to mention a few. You are allowed to change status from a tourist visa to a spousal visa.
After getting married, some opt to make South Africa their permanent home and settle down with their spouse.
If you need to make use of our immigration service in South Africa, then we’d be more than happy to assist you.
If you do not qualify for the spouse visa then you can have a look at the South African immigration options.
This blog post lists the requirements needed for the visa application for a spouse visa for SA.
You can read about spousal visa renewal in South Africa.
These are the different South Africa visa types you can apply for.
VFS Spousal Visa South Africa
The spousal visa for South Africa allows foreign spouse applicants who are married to South African citizens or permanent residents to stay alongside their partner.
It’s a form of temporary residence permit / visa that not only allows you to stay alongside your partner, but you can add endorsements to the visa that allows you to work, study or start your own business in the Republic. Section 11(6) of the immigration act of South Africa mentions the endorsements and how to add a work endorsement on spousal visas in South Africa.
Those who do not qualify for the visa can look at other options such as the life partner visa for South Africa if they are in a relationship with a SA citizen or permanent resident.
The Department of Home Affairs allows same-sex couples to apply for the visa as well. Not only does this apply to the spousal visa, but permanent same-sex life partners can apply for a life partner visa, but you have to prove that you are in a relationship.
The drawback when you apply for a spousal visa is that it’s dependent on your marriage, if you or your partner decide to divorce, then the visa is technically null & void.
The Qualifying Criteria for the visa:
- Must have a marriage certificate.
The Requirements for Spousal Visa
Please remember that South African embassies around the world might have different qualifying criteria.
These are the documents required for a spouse visa in South Africa
- Duly completed temporary residence immigration forms.
- A valid passport
- If your application is being submitted in South Africa, then it should be submitted no less than sixty days prior to the expiry of your current visa and if it was issued for thirty days then no less than seven working days.
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate if you have travelled through a yellow fever endemic area.
- Police clearance certificate for each and every country you have lived in for 12 months or more since the age of 18.
- Medical Report (Not older than 6 months)
- Radiology report (Not older than 6 months – Children under the age of 12 and pregnant women are not required to undergo x-rays)
- Marriage certificate, cohabitation proof, financial responsibilities and setting out particulars of the children in the relationship.
- A spousal affidavit.
- Letter of support for spouse visa South Africa
- Divorce decree if applicable.
- A death certificate in respect of your late spouse if applicable.
- A court order granting full or specific parental responsibilities and rights if applicable.
- Written consent from both parents and full parental responsibilities where applicable.
- Proof of adoption where applicable.
- Legal separation order if applicable.
The relative visa application form South Africa must be used abroad for a South African visa at the SA embassy.
Am I allowed to work on a South African Spouse visa?
Yes, you are allowed to work, but you have to apply for an endorsement before you can do so.
You are allowed to add either one of the endorsements:
- Business Endorsement
- Study Endorsement
- Work Endorsement
You must submit the following documents when applying for one of the endorsements:
- Proof of business registration with the CIPC
- Proof of registration with the South Africa Revenue Service (SARS)
- Letter of provisional acceptance at a recognized education institution
- Offer of employment
The endorsements offer many advantages compared to a work visa or a business visa. Less red tape to cut through and no need to prove to Home Affairs that your prospective employer has exhausted all avenues in first finding a SA citizen or permanent resident.
If you are applying for a visa through a family member, then can you work on a relative visa in South Africa is something you might be wondering about.
South African Spouse Visa Validity
The visa is valid for 2 years and can be extended each time just before it expires.
The foreign spouse applicant has the option to apply for a permanent residence permit once he or she has been married to a South African citizen or permanent resident for five years or more. A spouse or life partner can read more about permanent residency with our life partner permanent residence permit South Africa.
When you are granted permanent residency, you no longer have to apply every two years to renew your visa. This will you time and money down the line.
The immigration Act for South Africa changes every few years and might have a new set of regulations where spousal visa requirements are concerned.
Spousal Visa South Africa Processing Time
In South Africa:
Due to COVID-19, the Department of Home Affairs is currently experiencing a huge backlog and therefore it can take between five-seven months to have your visa processed.
We would advise you to keep in contact with DHA to get constant feedback from them.
Once an outcome has been received, VFS will notify you to come to collect your application.
The relative visa South Africa processing time varies whether you are submitting in SA or abroad.
Submitting at an SA Embassy:
Embassy’s around the world are less busier than DHA and therefore it could take anything between thirty days to ninety days.
Migrate With Q Can Assist You
If you need assistance, then we’d be more than happy to assist you with your visa application. Submit your contact details and we’ll reach out to you, to book a time convenient to you.
Charl Vollmer has 8 years of experience helping people immigrate to South Africa. I am passionate about helping people and making their dreams a reality. Charl constantly stays up to date with South African Immigration rules and regulations. To contact Charl, visit our contact page.